Monday, October 27, 2008

To sharpen your memory, you need to decide what's worth remembering

Am turning 40 soon and sometimes wonder if my memory is sharp as it should be .

Most of the information that comes at us every day is, frankly, not worth remembering.A daily overload of information often makes us think our memory is declining and we have memory loss when in fact it's simply glutted with too much useless data making remembering instantly or making immediate decisions difficult. A fit brain will efficiently screen out and discard worthless or meaningless data so it can remember what's important.

To get around this I have thought myself to remember more of what cannot be put down or read without a reference and the rest either I put a reminder on my mobile or put a post it note at home - showroom or clinic and then forget about it till reminded by sight or by mobile reminder tone .

My brain has now learnt to edit out the info clutter and is now free to do important things like doing a quick recall or make instant decisions instead of being a memory bank with search software slowed down by an overload.